CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Fish and the Myth


So I've become obsessed with humans in animal costumes. It's becoming ridiculous. I drew this at PCS one night, after putting the kids to bed and still holding onto the shower chart. The back of the chart was very large and very blank, and my mind was thirsty for creativity. I don't know where this came from exactly, but I have two ideas - or two movies actually. An obvious influence would be "Eagle vs Shark", a hilarious film about love, romance, and accepting (or not accepting) adulthood. It's on the same vibe as Napolean Dynomite, with the superb kiwi actor, Jermaine Clement. The second movie I happened to see after years of deprivation at my sister's house. A film I find both nostalgic and moving, as well as slightly unsettling. I'm talking about "The Last Unicorn." Illustrated by the same studio that did "The Hobbit" (another classic) and "The return of the king" (a not-so-classic), this movie has pulled more of my heart strings than I wish to count. So there you have it. Eagle vs Shark.... vs Unicorn. Minus the Eagle. Shark vs Unicorn. Uhh.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

I liked in Eagle vs. Shark how they had matching moles. hahaha...

Kristine said...

i love this new concept you've got goin on.

Erica Eley said...

Yeah, every time I see The Last Unicorn sitting in the children's movie section, I'm tempted to buy it for memory's sake. I loved that movie, and it's touching, yet mature themes. I guess this makes up my mind, and I'm gonna have to queue it on Netflix. One day you're gonna start designing all these animal costumes for your kids to wear. Not just for Halloween parties... you'll probably make them wear costumes to school.